The ultimate southern comfort food – Biscuits and gravy! They have long competed with pancakes and waffles for the breakfast spotlight. Topped with that comforting, creamy sausage gravy, this breakfast recipe takes a simple buttermilk biscuit recipe and changes it into crispy waffles.
Waffle Biscuits and Gravy Sausage
Over the years, I have resisted making savory waffles and gravy in self-defense. Sausage gravy and Savory waffles is a flavorful, light dinner or filling brunch. All sausage gravy and biscuit lovers, this one is for you!
Does Waffle house have Biscuits and Gravy?
Buttery biscuit and delicious gravy on top of a moist is the business! Due to the heaviness of the dish, It isn’t a breakfast dish that I can eat often, but it is something that I am in love with. I have fallen even more in love with Gravy and Biscuits with this recipe of Waffle Biscuits and Gravy. With this dish success, I am now interested in trying Chili and Cornbread Waffles. Its pretty good I bet you. Have you tried that? Now give Waffle Biscuits and Gravy a try and let me know in comments below.
Check Nutrition Facts Here
Waffle Biscuits and Gravy
- 2 ½ c. flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. chives
- 2 tbsp. rosemary
- 1 stick butter cold and cut into cubes
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tbsp. thyme
- 1 tbsp.
- 1 ½ c. buttermilk
- 2 c. whole milk
- ⅔ c. Smoked Gouda shredded
- ¼ c. flour
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. chives chopped
- In a large bowl, add the baking powder, flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Whisk the dry ingredients together Add the cold butter and shortening and mix with fork or pastry cutter until small pea-sized pieces’ form. Add the thyme, rosemary, and chives; add the buttermilk and Gouda Cheese. Mix together until ball of dough form.
- To a slightly floured surface transfer the dough. Roll the dough into a 1-inch thickness and to cut the dough into rounds using a 3-inch biscuit cutter. Reroll until all dough is used. For 15 minutes, Place in the refrigerator.
- According to manufacture directions preheat Waffle Iron.
- With the non-stick spray the waffle iron and place a biscuit into the spaces of the waffle iron and cook until golden brown or about 5 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan, on medium heat add the butter and until cooked through cook the breakfast sausage. Sprinkle with the flour and add the milk. The gravy will thicken. Add season and chives with salt and pepper and until ready to serve place on low.
- On top of the waffle biscuit serve the gravy and enjoy!