How to make Grilled Cheese !!
These zucchini grilled cheese are healthier and have less carbs than traditionally grilled cheese sandwiches, similar to zucchini pizza crust by using a zucchini “bread”.
I am In love with the zucchini crust. I think even more than cauliflower crust I may actually like it. because you don’t need to dry out the zucchini quite, it’s easier and faster to make, as much as you do for cauliflower.
While they were good, to work with the cauliflower crust was a little delicate. A little bit of flour added to the zucchini crust and that holds together very well it makes for a much sturdier bread.
I kept it ultra-thin When I made the zucchini crust for pizza. For these sandwiches, so that they can substitute for sandwich bread I made the crust thicker.
It was time to assemble my sandwiches once the breads were done. Not to just gobble up the zucchini crust straight out of the oven, It took a lot of willpower. They looked so crispy and warm and smelled great. Slather the bread with butter and/or mayonnaise to keep things healthier, I simply added the cheese and then to melt the cheese I broiled these.
Low Carb Zucchini Crust Grilled Cheese
For my grilled cheese sandwiches I usually stick to cheddar cheese but now obsessed with fresh mozzarella, so I used that instead.
The end result is a fluffy low-carb crust bread, crispy and melted cheese. You will love to make them again. If you like this recipe then share this Coconut flour pancakes recipe on Pinterest and Facebook and other social platforms.
Click Here for nutrition
Zucchini crust bread slices
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup / 3 oz / 85 gr sharp cheddar cheese, grated/shredded, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
Zucchini crust bread slices
- Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C) and in the middle place a rack.
- With parchment paper line a baking sheet and liberally grease it and set aside.
- In a microwave-safe dish place shredded zucchini and microwave on high for 6 minutes. To squeeze as much moisture as you can transfer to a dishcloth (or tea towel) and twist it (very important). you’ll end up with mushy dough if you don't let the zucchini to be dry, otherwise , impossible to use as slices of bread.
- In a bowl mix mozzarella cheese, zucchini, egg, oregano, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Onto the lined baking sheet spread zucchini mixture and shape into 4 squares.
- Until lightly golden brown bake it for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Before peeling them off the parchment paper, remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes (be careful not to break them!)
Assemble grilled cheese
- On medium, heat a pan.
- To each slice of zucchini crust bread, butter one side(preferably the top part).
- In the pan, buttered side down, place one slice of bread, sprinkle with the cheese and with the remaining slice of zucchini crust bread top it, buttered side up.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Gently flip and again cook for 2-4 minutes until golden brown on the other side.
Serving Size1 grams
Amount Per ServingUnsaturated Fat 0g